Cookie policy notice

By continuing to use this site you agree to our cookies policy below:
Since 26 May 2011, the law now states that cookies on websites can ony be used with your specific consent. Cookies allow us to ensure that you enjoy the best browsing experience.

This site is intended for health professionals only

At the heart of general practice since 1960

NHS England could pay 100% of premises development costs

Practices could see 100% of the costs of new premises paid by NHS England, under changes to existing rules outlined by the General Practice Forward View

Under existing rules, the NHS can only contribute 66% of funding for new premises, but they may be changed by September 2016 to ’enable NHS England to fund up to 100% of the costs for premises developments’.

It also introduces a number of short-term measures to relieve premises costs for practices, including funding to cover stamp duty land tax for NHS Property Services Tenants and VAT – where this is being charged by a practice’s landlord.

The short-term relief runs from 1 May to the end of October 2016, and also offers ‘transitional support’ where practices leasing from NHS Property Services or Community Health Partnerships have incurred significant increases in management costs.

But, as with the overhauled £1bn Primary Care Transformation Fund, funding available to practices will have to be agreed with CCGs, which have to submit local estates strategies by the end of June 2016.

The announcement highlights the need for modern general practice facilities to ’accommodate multi-disciplinary teams and their training’ and for ’new premises… to cater for significant population growth’.

The Forward View states: ‘CCGs will agree the improvements that will be made so that buildings are used productively and provide the capacity and flexibility that is required. While there are some GP practices that urgently require improvement, there are buildings which are unused or underutilised.’

Working with their CCGs and estates advisors, GP practices will need to help to ensure that buildings are all used productively and effectively.

Other proposals to improve GP premises include:

2016 road map click back banner 580x60px

Readers' comments (3)

  • So what happens to those practices that have only been given the 66% under the initial improvement grant funding? Do they get reimbursed the remaining 34% given that is the same scheme as last year and so the changes proposed would effectively mean that they applied under false premises?

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • Farce again. They give you funding with a minimum spend of 5000 only for two taps and wash basins but deny use of this for a stair lift which would have allowed access to disabled patients to get involved in PPGS. Of course, knowing that without the stair lift, you can't actually meet the minimum spend of 5000.
    Welcome to the translucent world of NHSE/Prop services in Kent and Medway where patients are put in categories of which Surgery they belong when funding is allocated. My patients deserve equal treatment too.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • This obviously begs the question of who owns a fixed asset that has received "100% funding" from the public purse. National Audit Office comment on this arrangement will be interesting.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say