RCGP guide to personal health budgets
The College has written a guide to personal health budgets.
Authors explain, “From October 2012, some patients in England will be eligible for a personal health budget and, by April 2014, all patients with continuing health needs have the right to ask for one. GPs will be able to offer them more widely to patients who they feel may benefit.”
The guide covers the following questions:
- What is a personal health budget?
- Who is eligible?
- How do personal health budgets work?
- What benefits can a patient achieve?
- How do I engage my patient?
- What are the positive aspects of personal health budgets?
- What evidence is needed for a GP or others to approve a personal health budget care plan?
- What treatments, activities or services can patient choose?
- What is the role of the personal health budget broker?
- What skills are required?
- How are budgets set?
It also explains funding flows and contracts, and answers more frequently asked questions.