GUM consultant Dr Olwen Williams discusses chronic pelvic pain, a symptom that can turn a patient into a heartsink.
This module will give a primary care focused overview on chronic pelvic pain, including issues such as:
- Identifying and diagnosing chronic pelvic pain
- Understanding predisposing factors, including drug or alcohol misuse, miscarriage, heavy menstrual flow, for example.
- Conducting appropriate investigations to reassure the patient
- Creating a management plan with the patient
- Referring the patient to a relevant healthcare professional
- Managing pain with NSAIDs, cox-2-selective drugs and opioids