Elderly care physician Dr John Hindle advises on effective primary care management of depression and anxiety in older adults.
This module will give a GP focused update on treating depression and anxiety in the elderly:
- Identifying depression in older people
- Referring patients for cognitive behavioural therapy
- Choosing an appropriate antidepressant for your patient
- Identifying and avoiding potential drug interactions, such as SSRIs and NSAIDs
- Reviewing patients to discuss side effects and risk of increased suicidal ideation in the initial phase of antidepressant treatment
- Deciding when to switch antidepressant
- Using CBT to treat significant anxiety
This module was first published on 15 September 2010 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 15 September 2012 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.