Statins have become one of the most widely prescribed medications with clear evidence of benefit in primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. This module will clarify the messages of a recent Cochrane review of statins which has caused some confusion but will also update you on the role of fibrates and co-enzyme Q10 and on the management of raised triglycerides and diagnosing familial hypercholesterolaemia.
To provide an understanding of:
- Treatment options for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease, and when to use them.
- The benefits, risks and contraindications of statins
- Cutaneous markers of cardiovascular disease
- Management of raised triglycerides
- Diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolaemia
In this interactive module, you will learn as you work through real-life primary care patient scenarios. You will be assessed before starting the module and again at the end, to gauge how your knowledge has improved.
You don’t have to complete the whole module in one sitting. You can break off at any point mid-module and pick up again where you left off by pressing the Resume Module button alongside the module title in your Pulse Learning CPD log.