Consultant addiction psychiatrist Dr Francis Keaney and GP Dr Matthew Young answer questions on managing patients with addictions.
This module will give you an update, tailored towards GPs, on managing patients with addictions:
- Assessing the severity of a patient’s addiction
- Using substitution programmes, such as buprenorphine or methadone
- Advising patients on self-help support groups
- Managing patients who are addicted to drugs other than opioids, such as cocaine and cannabis
- Advising and managing patients who want to abstain from alcohol
This module was first published on 20th April 2011 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 20th April 2013 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.