Dr Max Watson answers GP Dr Pam Brown's questions on effectively managing pain in terminally ill patients.
This module will provide a primary care focused update on palliative care issues including:
- Tailoring analgesia choice to pain type
- Managing patient expectations of pain management
- Calculating a starting dose of modified-release morphine
- Use of anti-emetics
- Preventing opioid-induced constipation
- Pros and cons of transdermal preparations
- Managing malignant neuropathic pain
This module was first published on 9 March 2011 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 9 March 2013 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.